Thursday, November 15, 2007

My Guardian Angel watches over me:

Yesterday while I was taking my car to the dealer for maintenance I had a little fender bender.

An older Filipino man was following me to closely and he ended up rear ending my car with his moped. My mind was racing with past horror stories of foreign nationals who have had accidents with the locals. One crooked cop and some false witness reports and the foreigner is out thousands of dollars.

I pulled over and a traffic enforcer immediately came over to me trying to explain to me that the man needed to go to a hospital and that I would need to pay for his expenses. I told the man that I was not at fault that the man had clearly rear ended me. The traffic enforcer had the man pull up his shirt and leg pants to show the damage. I truly felt sorry for the man but I was never going to admit fault. He asked me what we should do. I told him to call a police officer to come to the scene to investigate.

It didn’t take very long and a PNP police officer arrived at the scene. He came up to me and asked me what had happened. I told him that the man had rear ended me. The police officer looked at my car and noted small damage and asked me if I wanted compensation. I told him I didn’t want any compensation I just wanted the man to understand that I was not a fault. The police officer went over to the man and explained it to him. The man came over to me and we shook hands. The police officer gave me back my driver’s license and told me that I could leave. I sat in the car a few minutes to make sure I was over what had just happened. The police officer came back over to me to make sure I was OK. I told him I just wanted to wait a few more seconds. I then I drove away.

Many people told me how lucky I was that I had got a good police officer instead of a bad one. Others told me I should go out an by a lottery ticket as this was obviously a lucky day for me. I would like to think it was more then that. I know there are bad cops here but I want to believe that for the most part most are just trying to do their job as best as they can.

1 comment:

PhilippinesPhil said...

Knock wood, other than being pulled over a few times for a few minutes of a friendly game of shake down the foreigner, I've never had any problems with the cops here. I do suggest though, that if you ARE a foreigner driving here, to drive slow and keep your foot on the brake at all times. If you hit someone, you WILL pay! You did exactly the right thing by not admitting fault, especially when it wasn't your fault. I just bought another little sedan so its time for me to make sure I have top notch insurance. Glad to see your blogging now James...